Lisa Bluder announces retirement, Jan Jensen announced as new WBB head coach

Hawkeyes Talk
Froggy45

Lisa Bluder announces retirement, Jan Jensen announced as new WBB head coach

Image Photo by Steph Chambers/Getty Images The end of an era Lisa Bluder has coached her last game as head coach of the Iowa Hawkeyes. In a stunning turn of events Monday afternoon, Bluder called it a day through posts on social media, calling it quits as the head Hawk after 24 seasons: Basketball Icon.
Legendary Leader.
All-Time Great.

Lisa Bluder announces retirement.#Hawkeyes pic.twitter.com/zaCehITUu3— Iowa Women's Basketball (@IowaWBB) May 13, 2024 It’s a shocking, albeit understandable, move for Bluder, fresh off taking the program to back-to-back national championship game appearances. She closes the book as the all-time winningest coach in Big Ten history with 538-254 overall record, taking the Hawkeyes to 18 NCAA Tournaments, including 14 of the last 16. Bluder also took the Hawkeyes to five Big Ten Tournament titles and shared two regular season Big Ten titles. The news came as a shocker, but not even 30 minutes after the announcement, Iowa Athletics announced Bluder’s successor: none other than former associate head coach Jan Jensen: Introducing our next head coach, Jan Jensen. @goiowa x #Hawkeyes pic.twitter.com/e7DeuUW28q— Iowa Women's Basketball (@IowaWBB) May 13, 2024 “I am thrilled to share with you that current Associate Head Coach Jan Jensen has agreed to become the next P. Sue Beckwith, MD, Head Women’s Basketball Coach,” Iowa athletics director Beth Goetz said in the official release. “This program has always been about family, and the contributions to its incredible culture are shared by alums, current, student-athletes and the entire staff. One of those contributors has been in the team circle for 24 years as a tireless recruiter, skilled teacher of the game, and charismatic personality that has endeared her to the Hawkeye community. Coach Jensen has been an instrumental part of our success, assisting in all aspects of the program. After several conversations with Coach Bluder and President Wilson over the last few days, it is clear that everything that we are seeking in a head coach, we have found right here.” This is the correct decision for the program, period. Jensen not only provides continuity and the backing of the players, but also an impressive skillset used to develop some of the best post players in the country during her tenure as associate head coach. There’s so much more to say and write about this soon. Lisa Bluder means more to me than any other Iowa coach ever, and I’m immensely sad to see her career ending. I’m also incredibly excited to see where Jensen takes the program. She was more than deserving of this position, and judging by the reaction of the players, they seem to agree too. So for now, thank you, Coach Bluder and welcome to the Jan Jensen era. Go Hawks!

Source: https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/202 ... head-coach