BYU Basketball Recruiting Notebook, 5/26: International Recruits, Recent Visit, and More

BYU Cougars Talk
Gendora BYU

Image Photo by David Grau/Euroleague Basketball via Getty Images Since my last recruiting notebook on 5/17, BYU has landed 4-star guard Elijah Crawford. BYU has 4 open scholarships they can fill, and two huge needs that pop out to me. BYU must land another player that can play the four — Noah Waterman’s late departure was unexpected and BYU is looking to find another guy that can start at the 4. BYU in on multiple guys that fit this bill. The other big need is a wing/guard. BYU has some good guards and wings on the roster, but could use another talented player there. The third biggest need, which I put quite a bit lower than the first two, is a third big. Adding more depth and size down low would be great, but not as pressing as the first two needs since a player that fits this bill likely wouldn’t much unless there is an injury. Below are some updates on prospects. To iterate, these are not all the players that BYU is recruiting. BYU is in deep with a few guys that nobody is talking about and that I won’t report on here either due to 1) the players’ wishes, 2) my sources’ requests or 3) I don’t have enough verifiable information to report. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a “surprise” commit in the coming weeks that most people don’t see coming. The dead period started 5/22 and runs through 6/2. Coaches can contact players but cannot meet them in person during this time. Updates on Players From 5/17 Report
  • Elijah Crawford, 4-Star Guard — Signed with BYU
  • Maxim Logue, France Big Man — Sources tell me BYU is out. BYU and Oregon State were the schools I mentioned as the likely landing spots. Oregon State seems like the landing spot.
  • Chaz Lanier, North Florida Transfer — Lanier went back to his home state and committed to Tennessee
  • Berke Buyuktuncel, UCLA Transfer — This one has gone back and forth in the last week. Early on I thought BYU had a slight edge, but Nebraska has come on strong the last week. Berke still has not committed anywhere and BYU is still pushing to land him. If I had to choose now I think he goes to Nebraska. Basketball wise BYU makes a lot of sense for Berke, but Nebraska has done a good job recruiting him too.
Other Players Egor Demin, Guard/Forward The Russian native and guard for Real Madrid is one of the best international prospects in the world. Egor last August measured 6-foot-9 in shoes and a wingspan just a hair under 7 feet. Egor is widely projected as a first round pick in a loaded 2025 Draft; ESPN projected him as a lottery pick in the 2025 draft. Demin is a versatile guard that is a terrific passer and scorer. He has the playmaking ability to play point guard and size to play on the wing. His versatility was on full display the last week in Berlin, where he lead Real Madrid U18 Squad to a Adidas NGT championship. In the finals, Egor had 26 points, 11 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 steals, and 2 blocks. The 18-year-old re-asserted himself as a potential lottery pick in the 2025 draft. Multiple sources tell me that Egor is strongly consider playing college basketball next season, and BYU is right at or near the top of his destination list. Illinois was involved early, but BYU, Arkansas, and USC are the most likely destinations right now. Kevin Young has given Egor an incredibly compelling pitch and path to develop him for the NBA. If Egor was to pick BYU, I anticipate him starting at the two or three spot. With his size he could even play the four in certain lineups. Egor would be one of biggest recruiting wins in BYU history and allow Kevin Young to start his NBA pipeline in Provo that he wants to develop. BYU is in a really strong position to land the talented guard. He would give BYU a star player they can build around and someone Kevin Young develop into a top NBA Draft pick. National/International pundits have recently reported what I’ve been tracking for weeks. Donatas Urbonas reports that BYU is a strong candidate to land Egor. The future of three ANGT Finals title game stars

Hugo Gonzalez – Real Madrid ?
Egor Demin – BYU Cougars ?
Nolan Traore – Saint-Quentin ?

More:https://t.co/eRdJdFgfLT— Donatas Urbonas (@Urbodo) May 26, 2024 You can watch highlights and clips of Egor below. Egor Demin ANGT final’s highlights - 26 pts, 11 reb, 6 assists

And no individual awards pic.twitter.com/LFatlcKE74— Artem Komarov (@art_basket) May 26, 2024 19 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists in 28 minutes for 6-foot-9 Russian guard Egor Demin in Real Madrid's blowout win over Milan in the ANGT. In the running to be the top international prospect in the loaded 2025 NBA draft. pic.twitter.com/SjBzO6EUJP— Jonathan Givony (@DraftExpress) May 23, 2024 Mawot Mag, Rutgers Transfer The 6-foot-7 forward visited BYU Tuesday right before the dead period began, sources tell me. The 6-foot-7 forward was born in Sudan and grew up in Australia. He’s played the last four seasons at Rutgers and is one of the best defenders in the country. He can play either the 3 or the 4 spots. Mag played in just 17 games this past season as he was recovering from a knee injury, but he averaged 9.1 points and 3.8 boards. Defense is his definite strength and he is not a proven shooter. He shot 12-49 from three this past season. Mag also visited San Diego State and he is expected to decide between BYU and SDSU in the coming days. He is in the carbon copy of a typical SDSU player that is a long, versatile defender. BYU is in play here due to Brandon Dunson. Mag has a longstanding relationship with Dunson that goes back nearly a decade. Mag has not proven to be a consistent shooting threat in his college career, but he can score in other ways and would give BYU an elite defender. Maryland Head Coach Kevin Willard called him one of the best college defenders he has seen in a long time. #Maryland HC Kevin Willard on Mawot Mag's performance last night.

"He's probably the best college defender I've seen in a long, long time."

FULL PRESSER --> https://t.co/TXmXL0zIPL pic.twitter.com/KKSTIC5uvq— Rutgers Scarlet Knights | TheKnightReport.Net (@RutgersRivals) February 7, 2024 You can watch highlights of Mag below.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/vrOzQfp5ovw?rel=0

Source: https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2024/5/2 ... uyuktuncel