Laying the foundation to track Rome Odunze’s rookie season

Chicago Bears Discussion Forum
MacNasty

Laying the foundation to track Rome Odunze’s rookie season

Image Photo by Michael Reaves/Getty Images Can Rome Odunze break some rookie receiving records? The 2024 Chicago Bears feature many interesting storylines, including two talented offensive rookies starting their NFL careers: Caleb Williams and Rome Odunze. Odunze may be the most talented WR prospect the Bears have ever drafted, and while he’s joining a talented room with DJ Moore and Keenan Allen, Odunze will likely play an important role. The all-time career receiving marks in Bears franchise history are modest, with records held by Ken Kavanaugh from the 1940s (career TDs), Johnny Morris from the 1960s (career yards), and the great Walter Payton from the 1980s (receptions). However, the rookie receiving marks are respectable, particularly when considering the yardage and TD marks were set by Harlon Hill in the 1950s in only 11 games played. For Odunze’s rookie year, I’ll track his progress against the rookie records for catches, yards, and receiving scores relative to the top two in franchise history plus a 17-game pace line. Additionally, I’ll track the “Race to 1,000 Yards” that Moore, Allen, and Odunze have referenced as they embark on a friendly challenge. The following image is from Infogram where I’ll be creating the visuals for the season: !function(e,n,i,s){var d="InfogramEmbeds";var o=e.getElementsByTagName(n)[0];if(window[d]&&window[d].initialized)window[d].process&&window[d].process();else if(!e.getElementById(i)){var r=e.createElement(n);r.async=1,r.id=i,r.src=s,o.parentNode.insertBefore(r,o)}}(document,"script","infogram-async","https://e.infogram.com/js/dist/embed-loader-min.js"); Rome Odunze Tracker
Infogram Odunze will be plotted using a red line. If the dots stay above the gray line of the 17-game pace, that will indicate he’s on pace to break that particular record. The yardage and TDs will obviously be much more difficult than the reception mark. For those of you nerdy data visualization types, this is my first time using Infogram. I was looking for something that combined ease of use for me and provided an easy, dashboard-like visual to the user. The goal is to create about a half dozen trackers like this to use as conversation pieces throughout the year. We’ll refine as we go.

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2024/ ... d-dj-moore