2020, Candidates

Carolina Panthers Discussion Forum
Fletch59

2020, Candidates

Mike McCarthy's festive appendix reminded me of something unlikely - he ended up being the best that Carolina interviewed in 2020. We possibly learn for the future, by learning from the past: 62-39, he still has his team.  And they're good right now. McCarthy didn't have the best chance - he was foisted an OC, he made the wrong DC hire in Mike Nolan before getting that one right; he could've easily faltered after his OC change this offseason. 
The others: 
Josh McDaniels, finally hired in 2022 by LV, fired at 9-16.  A tenure short enough I'd mock it if ... well, you know. Matt Rhule, 11-27. All the tools at his disposal, he built no such program as he asked to ahve time to build. Eric Bieniemy, for whichever reason, not a part of the hiring in this time period. Kevin Stefanski is the other contender, I don't know how serious his candidacy was but he's 33-29, he's over .500 this year.   Yeah, he's tied one way or another to Deshaun Watson longterm.  Take that for the good and bad that it is. Joe Judge didn't get sniffed here at all but flamed out faster than Rhule. Ron Rivera had his moments, partially wrecked by lack of QB, but though his record isn't that good, he doesn't work here anyway given, well, Carolina wasn't going to hire him.   Recent discussion on the angry little leprechaun that is Sean McDermott about Cam Newton - to paraphrase, "Cam Newton ruined the Carolina Panthers", McDermott was said to state unprompted - suggests that Rivera has a steadier influence than McDermott, but you have to wonder how much of that attitude also comes out of Rivera, a guy who has thrown enough different people under the bus himself. 

Source: http://absolutepanthers.blogspot.com/fe ... ts/default
GO RAMS!