Dave Canales, Dan Morgan: Pressers, Indy/Combine

Carolina Panthers Discussion Forum
Fletch59

Dave Canales, Dan Morgan: Pressers, Indy/Combine

Morgan notes needing playmakers, later notes the WR group in this draft is a strength. Notes Jonathan Mingo is around.   Doesn't, that I remember, name-check anybody else. Add "a bunch of depth all over the place", looks for tough guys, team "needs to get better at all facets."  Makes it sound as if Miles Sanders will remain around - Sanders has guaranteed salary this year. Plan is to leave Ikem Ekwonu on the outside. Starting guards are "progressing" and motivated, but they'll look to add competition "everywhere, not just at G". Shaq Thompson "trending in a good direction". No matter what number of picks, "they want to add competition".   Notes they won't just 'kick the can down the road', with respect to restructures.   Hopefully that ends up meaning that a Taylor Moton type player won't just get money moved around, he could get a longer deal. As an example. 
Dave Canales' most interesting bit was talking about running the ball, and said Tampa had struggles last year (but that they would not give up on running the ball) and stated they would run the ball here.  Cites it's important for time of possession, cites it's important for several reasons.  Cites a +20 yard/game spread over the second half of the year.  Finding the runs that fit the team will matter.  Canales says "never give up on the run game."     Yet, they did struggle to do so effectively for a while - he cites that Tampa did finish running for 100+ yards in four straight games.  Mentioned, in talking of the makeup of the 2023 Bucs, about having Mike Evans to force defenses to roll coverage to.  Mentioned almost a "make-do" philosophy (ex, not having a ton of resources going into the year), mentioned the bond with Harold Goodwin and Joe Gilbert, for instance. Notes Brad Idzik as a high energy, detailed guy. Has Canales' back, there's a lot of trust there.  Notes that there are some places Idzik provides the accountability Canales needs. More "you don't need to fix" Bryce Young, and Canales says he's working on a "detailed, tangible plan" to provide to Young (as he did in the past with others).  Says that some of it comes from Brian Schottenheimer (who was OC in Seattle over Canales, 2018-20), and that Canales and Will Harriger will develop that plan together. Wants to deal with the offense, not just Young, notes they need to be able to make plays more.   Says he needs Bryce to be a spark, not the whole offense.  Build the offense aroud him. Notes the OTs need to be "aggressive" because the ball should be coming out faster. He notes that keeping Ejiro Evero and staff was a "big part of the plan".  I remain interested to know what Plan B would've looked like, though.     
Did not suggest much about too many players, but noted several he was excited about, including Jonathan Mingo. 
Do I come away with this, with a definitive feeling that I know what Carolina's about to do?  Not really.   You could use the Mike Evans bit as a feeling that Carolina needs a #1 WR - I would argue, that the offense didn't really get good there until they also learned how to use Chris Godwin.  That would lead me toward, get two decent WR not one great one.  But it has a lot of room for interpretation. I also suggest, I read that the team wants to keep together a core of Brian Burns, Frankie Luvu, and Derrick Brown.   That may suggest, they won't want on completing Brown to negotiate with the other; they may look at whoever will deal first and work from there. 

Source: http://absolutepanthers.blogspot.com/fe ... ts/default
GO RAMS!