Believing, Is Fandom

Carolina Panthers Discussion Forum
Fletch59

Believing, Is Fandom

I used to say, somewhere a fan is talking themselves into Chan Gailey.  No offense to Gailey, specifically.  I'm sure in the 90s, maybe even 00s, you would be able to talk yourself into Gailey as your OC fairly easily.  But then somebody had to sit in that stink in 2015-16. Miami had him as an OC in this decade. My God, Brian Flores hired him in 2020. Tua Tagovailoa got coached by Chan Freaking Gailey. And not to slag Chan, he's just an example. He had his days, took Kordell Stewart to the playoffs, he had moments he was cutting edge in the same way Gary Crowton lit up the league a year as the Bears' OC.   But those memories are in black and white, and by 2015, even 2020, you have to hope there are better options, more up to date.  Yet, fandom doesn't work that way.   You can want what you want, watch the team ignore it, and you end up talking yourself into it.   Maybe even logically. Example, I obviously could not stop talking about Jim Harbaugh in 2010.  He and Andrew Luck were going to bring us trophies. Neither came to Carolina, neither won a ring.   I talked myself into the one real adult they actually interviewed in 2011, Ron Rivera, schematically.  And that was a strong suit.   Yet imprecise as I am, I have also been excited about the way Jeff Davidson was going to administer the Ehrhart-Perkins (to be fair, 2007 and 2008, had moments).  None of those are what I'd have done, I ended up taking up the flag anyway. It's fair to say, there's a lot to like about Dave Canales now that we're into the back end of the offseason. He's got energy, positivity, schematically he is up to date*, says the right things.   I'm hopeful, because in the end I type into this stupid box because I'm interested in it.  I have hated the feeling of malaise around here. 
*It remains hard to say here, Shane Waldron being a copy of a copy of Sean McVay's stuff and Canales being a part of that, seemed to fully absorb that.   Is being flexible to that, a little less of a disciple, OK?  Or is Canales, a copy of a copy of a copy?  Mimicing what he saw someone do, who himself copied a master?   Do you grow from there, or stay stuck in the ways that things were happening in 2020?  I can hope for a thing to happen, but, no idea. Longwinded to say, there's a lot of excitement now that the team has started more actively marketing their choices.  Yes, some potentially portentous bits to it, just as there was back to the first big release of offseason info in 2021, which have since aged quite poorly. At the time, we believed.  At this time, I still do.   It's in the job description.

Source: http://absolutepanthers.blogspot.com/fe ... ts/default
GO RAMS!